Installing a stair chair lift in your home can keep you in your home and eliminate the need for costly home remodels.an those who are recuperating from surgery or other short-term mobility issue, renting a stairlift can be an effective solution.
A stair chair lift will also offer an additional safety solution for those who have vision problems, or for those who live alone and have some mobility issues.
Choosing an Indoor Stair Chair Lift
There are many stair chair lift makes and models to choose from, and most have optional features that you may or may not need. The price for the stairlift as well as any customization packages you may choose can vary widely depending on the manufacturer.
If you have no prior experience with stairlifts then all the choices may make selecting the right stair chair lift for your specific needs seem like a daunting task.
After all, you don’t want to pay for more than you need, but you want to make sure your investment covers your current and future needs. Here’s a list of the most important stair lift features for all users.
- Rails – The stair chair lift rails should be customized for the staircase in your home. A stairlift can be installed on straight stairs, curved stairs, straight multi-level and curved multi-levels stairs, and even outdoors.
- Stairlift Carriage/Platforms – You should be able to choose the seating that works best for you. A stairlift can be full-seated, (with a backrest, seat, and footrest), or have a standing platform for those who have trouble sitting and bending their knees, or have perch seat that sits much higher than a regular seat.
- Safety – You may not be able to see your chairlift at the other end of the stairs, so you need a chairlift that has sensors that will stop the chair if something is in its path. The stairlift controls should also be pressure sensitive for ease of use.
- Remote control or call button – you need access to you chairlift no matter what floor you’re on. Your stairlift should have remote control or a call button with a battery backup power supply, so you can get around your home whenever you need, even if the power goes out.
- Power lock – your stairlift should have a mechanism that prevents the chair from moving, so the chair can’t be accidentally knocked into gear. Consider having a key lock installed to prevent young ones from powering the stairlift.
Some stairlift manufacturers offer many more features, including stairlift system for narrow staircases, heavy duty stairlifts that can support higher weight limits, and have wider seats, seat depth choices for those who are very tall.